Designed by C.J. Phipps, the Savoy Theatre opened in 1881 for impresario Richard D'Oyly Carte. D'Oyly Carte had always dreamt of building his own theatre and the construction only took a few months. Initially used to stage Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan's work, the first productions were mainly operas such as Iolanthe, Princess Ida, The Mikado, Ruddigore, The Yeomen Of The Guard and The Gondoliers.
The theatre was built really close to Embankment within the grounds of the Savoy Palace Hotel. It is one of the most unusual theatre entrances especially since it was shifted from the Embankment side to the courtyard of the new Savoy Hotel. Designed by A. Tugwell and Basil Ionides, the interior represents the apogee of the Art Deco era with mirrors and gold ornaments covering most of the walls.
Located in the basement, the Savoy Theatre auditorium remembers some of Fellini's movies. Especially the stairs leading to the Auditorium covered of mirrors and shiny ornaments. As many other theatres in London the building was struck by fire in 1990 and the auditorium was completely ravaged. However, it was fully restored to Tugwell vision and reopened 3 years later with a Royal Gala performed by the English National Ballet.
Previous production at the Savoy Theatre include: The importance of Being Oscar, A Letter of Resignation, The Mikado, Enigmatic Variation, The Rat Pack, Fiddler On The Roof and Never Forget.